Celebrating OVER 190 years!
Before there was a town called Coshocton, there was an early village called Roscoe and at the center of Roscoe Village, even from its earliest recorded histories, was the Roscoe Methodist Episcopal Church. Perhaps the oldest church in Coshocton County, Roscoe Methodist Church had members as far back as 1812! In 1826, Reverends Gough and Sheldon organized membership and meetings in a local tavern- which then moved to congregant's homes in 1826. The first Sunday School was established in 1830 and the first church building was constructed in 1831; a 24X40ft white frame church on the site of the old cemetery on Maple Street. By 1853, a larger building was needed, so a 40X60ft brick and stone church was constructed on Center and West Streets. Unfortunately, this church burned (from a fire caused by an over-heated furnace pipe) down in 1874, wherein the building was a complete loss and the church bell actually melted! Fortunately, the faithful congregation (120 souls at that time) quickly rebounded, rebuilding (what is now called the 'old church') the red brick and stone church in 1875 at a cost of $8,000; reinstalling the bell (which had been recast from the original) in the same year. By 1936, the church added electric lighting and in 1947, the large lighted cross was built on the bell tower- which could be seen for miles around. By 1957, the growing congregation needed more room and land was donated (for existing church) by Estella Carhartt. Ground was broken for the new church in 1959- building a sanctuary, four classrooms, an office, kitchen, parlor, choir room, restrooms and storage- finished in 1963. The church parsonage was built (on site) in 1976 and the outdoor picnic shelter followed in '77. By 1988, the Fellowship Hall, pastor's study, classrooms and bell tower were completed.
While MANY things have changed over the last 2 centuries, Roscoe has never ceased in its commitment and service to God. We have adapted and changed, bringing the Light of Christ to new people and new places- finding new ways and means of "Leading Souls to Christ!"